Taking STEPS® to Excellence in health visiting services
The health visiting call to action was launched in 2011 to provide a clear mandate for strengthening and expanding services to ensure more children could get the best possible start in life.
Sustain was approached to provide its innovative STEPS® to Excellence programme to help equip health visitors with the skills they would need to deliver against this national agenda.
To bring the greatest benefits, the STEPS® to Excellence programme was required to:
- give health visitors the confidence to deal with change, embrace leadership and take responsibility for driving the healthy child programme and call to action
- increase motivation and ensure staff are able to work successfully in partnership, in turn helping them provide high quality services
The three-day course was specifically adapted to ensure staff were well placed to respond to the challenges of the health visiting ‘call to action’. It was successfully piloted at East Coast Community Healthcare (ECCH) in late 2012 and rolled out more widely across the region over the following months.
Outcomes and achievement
The course has been incredibly well received, with health visiting staff speaking of the immense benefits it has brought to them as individuals and a team. At ECCH, every participant recommended the course and 99.5% agreed it delivered its aims.
Additional comments received included:
- “The course was absolutely brilliant, and has had a big impact on my work, helping me cope with the pressures of my job much more effectively. I’m more positive, more relaxed and don’t let things get to me – instead of panicking, I take stock and talk myself though things. This has been reflected in the workplace and is benefiting the children I care for and is also helping us relate to each other better as a team.”
- “I would recommend the training to everyone. It will stretch your comfort zones safely, raise confidence and self-esteem and enable you to be more open to change.”
- “Sustain STEPS® is a thought-provoking, mindful life skills course which is about valuing yourself, your staff and your clients so that you support others to find their own solutions. It opens people’s minds in a caring, nurturing and creative way while giving them transferrable skills they can apply to both their personal and professional lives.”